Tuesday 7 April 2009

My First Redmire Carp

Some of you may recall “My First Redmire Experience” write up that I posted on the Carp Forum last February that has now been added to my Carping Memoirs Blogger site. This piece follows on with an ending this time that can only be described as unforgettable as I try to relay the excitement of catching “My first Redmire Carp!”

As always, I look forward to the beginning of each month to flick through the latest Carpworld magazine to see what Contributions have been made and to see if anything’s potentially an inspiring read…..I was not disappointed! Tim Paisley had a great time down at the Pool and his writings were second to none as He eloquently detailed his red-letter week with a number of stunning captures that twisted my arm to give Les Bamford a call to see if there were any spaces this coming January, February. I was delighted to find a space for a five day trip starting on Sunday 26th until Friday 30th….a proper winter special….Happy Days!

This time round I would be fishing with three others opposed to the last time when I was accompanied by Bill Livingston and my regular Carping buddy; Lee England….however, just to get a space at such short notice was a result and I’m sure the others would be just as buzzed up to be fishing at this Historic little Mire as I was!

Within a blink of an eye the time had come to load the car with the mountain of gear and provisions for the week….it’s difficult to believe just how much gear I take when I go for more than a long weekend session as this time round I had to do some work which meant power pack, lap-top, chargers, etc…I also just acquired a new Coleman triple burner stove that I wanted to try out before this years French adventures…..and what a fantastic purchase it proved to be….Fillet Steak’s, Pasta’s, Fry-up’s and a few bottles of good red made the long dark nights even more enjoyable!

Back to setting the scene…Les said that I could arrive a little earlier and have a chat with the previous Anglers to get it from "the horses mouth" so to speak opposed to disecting the catch reports….by the time I arrived the Fella’s had gone, not that I was late but they must’ve left early….anyway, I soon got out of the car and snapped the famous “Bernithan Court Farm” sign and the track leading across the hills and then down into Mecca!



The next day was Thursday….last chance of a stalked fish in the shallows…I was now deeply routine'd where I’d get up early, make a steaming mug of Tetley and head up to the Shallow’s before Breakfast. This time though, I didn’t want to spend all my time chasing “bubblers” so I waited until I felt the nip of the crisp chill before heading back to the WP to rattle a few pans together.

I carefully recast my Richworth Tutti Zigs ensuring that two splashes were seen before setting the other two bottom baits back on the unproductive spots. I settled down in my home and enjoyed Breakfast with Radio 5 for background entertainment.

I don’t know about you but when things are slow I end up looking at the tactics and methods that I’m using and especially with the loc-slide float rig, started tinkering with it in the form of a rig material change from green stealth skin too fluorocarbon….I was engrossed with the float rod when all of a sudden my TXI receiver started bleeping in my pocket! I immediately turned round to see the blue Delkim led full on and the mag-tech flying! The five foot Tutti Zig was away….I was on it in a flash and was soon doing battle with my first Redmire Carp!

When using ten pound double strength Zigs it’s not easy to gauge how big the fish are at first so I was so delicate with this fish that only really gave me a bit of trouble when it picked up one of the lines next to it….even though it was back-leaded! The silt really is deep. The fish eventually went into the waiting net at first attempt and I let out a big “Yessss”!!!!! followed by, “Terry, Terry, TERRYYYYY” He was having one of his “Siesta’s” but eventually turned up to do the honours with the weighing and photo’s….thanks Mate!




The Digi’s settled on 17lbs 01oz of stunning Common Carp….one that I’ve never seen before if that makes sense….ie I’ve caught literally hundreds of high double Commons elsewhere but none of them had the colours of this incredible creature…..it didn’t matter that it wasn’t a 20 or 30 or 40….the obsession I have for weights simply dispersed my head for this special moment….not easy to describe in words although Bill certainly understood and I appreciate the telephone call….thanks again Bill.

So there you have it….all that was left to do was to celebrate with some fine red-wine with Terry and enjoy my last night bathed in serotonin and to think about what to write in the catch reports without sounding too smug!

The last night and following morning passed all too quickly without anymore Action even though I changed all four rods to Zigs and Tutti’s! I actually would’ve felt quite greedy if I caught another although it was not be and I soon closed the gate behind me with a tremendous smile etched across my face….Thankyou for such great memories Redmire….until next time that is! Be Lucky….Jez Ritchie.

No comments: